Mechanical Aleatory Digital Drawings
Stylus is a series of generative drawings made with a CNC on the touch screen of a tablet. They use the “Accumulation” protocol with few layers (usually between 1 and 4). Colors are arranged by the roll of a dice and selected by hand on the tablet.
Starting with a digital process, going through an analog execution and ending up with a digital file, these Mechanical Aleatory Digital Drawings are playing with the limits between real and digital and how each one of these worlds can affect the other.
Each drawing is unique and part of a limited algorithmic edition.
.png file, 1180 x 800 px, available as NFTs on Opensea: https://opensea.io/collection/stylus
Each change in the process (size of the grid, type of brush, background color…) creates a new set. These sets have between 6 and 9 iterations maximum.
Details of the process (example with “Accumulation” protocol):
Following a protocol based on my generative mural painting (Modo n.°6), 6 shapes are randomly placed on a grid (position and rotation are picked at random). In the “Accumulation” protocol, I use only one line on one side of each shape:
Three .svg files are generated with Processing. The files are open in Aspire to calculate the tool path which is saved as G code and sent to the CNC with a special stylus mounted on it. The CNC draws on the touch screen of a tablet running a painting app. The drawing is saved as a .png with no further edition.
Sets (updated 04/04/2021):
All sets are sold out. Set #11 will be available soon.
10. Xrnbw (Crossed Rainbow with beige line, dark blue background), 9 iterations, 9 generated on the 04/04/2021 (9/9 minted)
9. CS (Chromie Squiggle Tribute, white background, no frame), 6 iterations, 6 generated on the 04/03/2021 (6/6 minted)
8. CS (Chromie Squiggle Tribute, black background, no frame), 6 iterations, 6 generated on the 01/03/2021 (6/6 minted)
7. CS (Chromie Squiggle Tribute, black background), 6 iterations, 3 generated on the 29/01/2021, 3 generated on the 01/03/2021 (6/6 minted)
6. CS (Chromie Squiggle Tribute, white background), 6 iterations, 3 generated on the 28 and 29/01/2021, 3 generated on the 02/03/2021 (6/6 minted)
5. Neon (black background), 6 iterations, 3 generated on the 28/01/2021, 3 generated on the 03/03/2021 (6/6 minted)
4. Neon (white background), 6 iterations, 3 generated on the 28/01/2021, 3 generated on the 03/03/2021 (6/6 minted)
3. 4C, 6 iterations, 4 generated on the 27/01/2021, 2 generated on the 15/03/2021 (6/6 minted)
2. 3C, 9 iterations generated on the 26 and 27/01/2021 (9/9 minted)
1. OG, 6 iterations generated on the 26/01/2021 (6/6 minted)